Mastering the fundamentals of passing is crucial for young quarterbacks. Here are key aspects to focus on:
- Grip and Wrist Motion: Ensure a proper grip on the football. Your fingers should be spread comfortably with the thumb and index finger forming a ‘C’. Work on your wrist motion for a tight spiral.
- Stance and Footwork: Adopt a balanced stance with feet shoulder-width apart. Practice smooth, quick footwork to set up for a pass.
- Throwing Motion: Your throwing motion should be fluid and consistent. Focus on a full range of motion, extending the arm fully during the throw.
- Shoulder and Hip Alignment: Keep your shoulders and hips aligned towards the target when passing. This ensures accuracy and power.
- Follow Through: A good follow-through is key. Your throwing hand should end up pointing towards the target, with your weight shifted forward.
- Practice Different Throws: Work on various types of passes – short, medium, long, lob, bullet, etc., to become a versatile quarterback.
Remember, consistency is key. Regular practice and attention to these mechanics will greatly improve your passing game.